Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Old Rugged Cross

We sang" Thhe Old Rugged Cross" at chruch Sunday and everytime I hear that song it reminds me of the
first time I ever heard Bill sang a gospel song.  It was in the early years of our marriage.   He was just sitting playing his guitar and singing as he did a lot when he was home.  He sang "The Old Rugged Cross".  I was surprised that he knew the words to it.
I said, When did you learn that song?  He said I remember hearing my mother sing it when I was growing up.  Of course they did go to church when Bill was growing up.  I guess I was just surprised because I'd never heard him sang a gospel song before.   That was the first gospel song I heard him sang but certainly not the last one.  If there was a gospel song I wanted him to sing at church, he would always learn it and sing it.  When he got sick he was working on a song I wanted him to sing at church.  I had heard the Wilburn Bros. sing it.  It was titled "Don't Go Home Unsaved".  He didn't get to sing it at church but maybe he'll sing it for me when I get to heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment