Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A Song For Me

Tonight I heard Alan Jackson sing a song he had written for his wife and it made me think of the time Bill was singing with the band.  Ronnie Gulley had a song he had written for his wife and he sang it every once in a while for her.  Donald Miller would sing a certain song for his wife.  I had told Bill several times that he should sing a song for me.  One night the guys were playing.  We were celebrating Ronnie's retirement.  When Bill stepped up to the mike he said, "I'm singing this song for my wife."  It was a Hank Williams song that was talked more than sung.

It was entitled, "Why Don't You Make Up Your Mind".  Some of the words were:
When I agree with you honey, it makes you mad
And when I don't, it makes you sad
When I argue back you pack and leave
And when I don't you pout and grieve
There just ain't nobody knows what I go through
Will you please make up your mind what you want me to do

That's just the first verse, some of the verses talk about him getting kicked around
Everyone thought that it was so funny that he was singing that for me and he thought
it was funnier than anyone.  When they took a break, he came and sit down by me
and I said "Just don't sing me anymore songs".  Well we did have some fun back then
but that really wasn't the kind of song I wanted him to sing for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment