Friday, September 30, 2011

Marriage

I'm invited to a wedding tomorrow and it's had me thinking about marriage.  Everything about marriage seems to have changed since I was a teenager.  In the fortys most teenage girls were thinking about marriage.  Now marriage doesn't seem to be high on their priority list.  Maybe that's not a bad thing.  You shouldn't enter into marriage lightly and the preacher tells you that in the ceremony.   But what is young people's attutude toward
marriage today?  In the old wedding ceremony the preacher said "till death do you part".  Is that part of the ceremony today?  I'll have to listen tomorrow and see.  Maybe it was in the 50's or 60's that people decided if you were n't happy in your marriage then you needed to get out.  Nobody's happy all the time and noboy's marriage is perfect.  They say that 50 per cent of marriages fail today.  When I was growing up I didn't know
anyone who was divorced.  None of the kids I went to school with lived in broken homes.  Is it the times we live in or a different attutude towards marriage and divorce?   I'm definitely not an autority on marriage but I think children would be better off today if their parents felt like marriage was a lifetime commitment that they needed to work at.  Well maybe this marriage tomorrow will be one that will last.

No comments:

Post a Comment