Thursday, June 13, 2013

Strawberries On The Manley Farm

As long as I could remember when I was young, Daddy raised strawberries.  He took them to Grand Chain and shipped them on the train.  I don't know where they went but I bet that who ever got to eat them was happy to get them.   Strawberries were much sweeter back then but not so large.  I think they tried to make them larger and took the taste out.  Mom always made strawberry shortcake and it was so delicious.
The last time I helped to work in the strawberries was the spring after Bill and I were married and he took me by Dad's of the morning as he went to work.  These days when I'm putting strawberries in the freezer I think of how many berries I've picked.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm love those strawberries and good strawberry shortcake! A lot of strawberries from Southern Illinois went to Chicago markets.

    ReplyDelete