Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Forties

I sometimes think of the forties when I was still in school.  That was a different time and I think it was a better time.  Of course the forties was also the time of the Second World War and that caused lots of sadness.  Many young men in our community was gone and when they came back, it was to a hero's welcome.   Our community didn't have electricity until 1948.  So of course there was not TV or any of the things that keeps children occupied these days.  We made up our own games and we played outside.  It was cooler under the shade tree than in the house with no air-conditioning.  I remember my grandchildren saying they were bored.  I never remember being bored.  There were books to read on a rainy day and inside games to play and of course there were chores to do, since we lived on a farm.

Most all families went to church back then, now there's families that have never gone to church.  Sometimes
the Preacher was there for  Sunday dinner and we always had fried chicken on those days.  Sometimes neighbors would drop in to visit, unexpectively because there was no phone to call and say they were coming.   Well, time marches on and times keep changing but when you're old sometimes it's hard to change with the time and there's some ways I don't want to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment